Monday, August 17, 2009

Cherry Bombs



I had planned to get this post up sooner, but have been having some trouble with photos on Blogger. Anyone else experiencing this? Photos now come up as code on the posts. Weird.

Anywho, I wanted to share my easy recipe for cherry bombs, aka cherry vodka. This has been a tradition around our house for years. Some years we even make an extra large batch and share it with friends around the holidays. You can make it with most summer fruit, but bing cherries are exceptionally awesome.

It couldn't be simpler to make, as you just dump everything together in a large (clean) crock. I used 3 pounds of firm bing cherries, 1 bottle of vodka (you don't have to use a super premium here, as a middle of the road one will work fine) and sugar (I used 1 cup, but you can do this to taste). Mix together in a sterile crock and set aside in a cool place (not the refrigerator) for about a month or more. This will keep for a very long time, or until you eat all of the cherries (and drink the liqueur). I store the liqueur and cherries together in the crock on my counter. Oh, and I keep the pits in my cherries. After a while they give the liqueur a lovely almond undertone which is fantastic.

Try the cherry bombs (infused cherries) over ice cream (with the pits removed of course) or blot them if any extra moisture and dip in melted chocolate.

Now go run and grab yourself some cherries and make a batch. I'm telling you that these are the bomb baby!



8 comments:

joanna said...

so do you separate out the liqueur and use it in drinks and then use the cherries separately, or do the cherries absorb most of the liquid?

julie hasson said...

Hey joanna! I leave them together. I scoop out the cherries when I need them and the same with the liqueur. The longer they sit the better they get.

joanna said...

i love it! now i'm trying to figure out which farms still have upick cherries so that i don't have to pony up for them at the grocery store...

No More Sad Geraniums said...

I still have so many cherries from going cherry picking, and this looks like a great way to use them up! Now I just need to get a big crock and some vodka...

Amy said...

It's kind of ironic that it's only a year since my parents moved away from the cherry capital of Australia and so I no longer get cheap as chips but wonderful cherries :(

This looks absolutely amazing!

I haven't been having trouble with my photos showing up but a while ago they stopped resizing themselves (blogs can be frustrating sometimes!)

The Voracious Vegan said...

Such wonderful pictures, you are so talented!

East Village Vegan said...

Wow! Sounds so delicious and easy.

julie hasson said...

Did you make them No More Sad Geraniums? I'd love to hear what you thought.

How lucky you were Vegetation! Too bad your parents moved. I usually go to farms to pick my summer fruit, but I haven't had time this year :(

Thanks Voracious Vegan! I'm really just learning, but having fun as I'm going along.

Thanks East Village Vegan!