Thursday, May 3, 2007

Ginger Peanut Tofu Salad

If you're looking for a delicious lunch idea... this recipe's for you! The recipe and video can be found on the Everyday Dish website.

This salad has quickly become a family favorite. I'm always looking for healthy, protein-packed salad ideas, and this one fits the bill. I started by using peanut butter instead of mayo. Then I added ginger, garlic, Siracha sauce and, well, the rest is history. So good! It's great on a sandwich, with whole grain crackers, or even as a filling for sushi.

We went to the coast last weekend for my birthday, and knowing that there are usually few vegan options in restaurants, I brought a double batch of this salad. I'm really glad that I did. It hit the spot, and was fun to serve with Lebanese cucumbers and slices of baguette. And, I was happy that I didn't have to live on hummus all weekend.

8 comments:

mama herbivore said...

what a simple and brilliant idea. i will be making this, probably, tonight. gracias!

scottishvegan said...

That sounds like a great and yummy alternative to the usual mayonnaise tofu mixture! Happy Belated Birthday!

julie hasson said...

I hope you enjoyed it Mama Herbivore! See you at the release party (with salsas and key lime bars in hand).

Thanks Scottishvegan! It's a nice alternative to the mayo variety. Of course, I could eat just about anything with peanuts and ginger.

Julie said...

MMMMM I will definitely be trying this--thanks!!

Anonymous said...

i found the video on youtube - it's so awesome that you have a blog, too! the tofu salad looks just so wonderful - i will definitely give it a try! thank you for sharing the recipe :)

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Happy Birthday, Julie - going to the coast is the perfect way to celebrate (I did that last year @ Gearhart) Your salad looks so fresh and sounds very tasty - I'll be trying this soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe, and also for your food processor tips - I really appreciate it! :o)

julie hasson said...

Hi Julie, Welcome! I hope you like the salad. I love it because it's flavorful and quick to make.

Hi Stonielove, Welcome to the blog! I'm glad you found the videos. We plan to post a new one each week. Enjoy the tofu salad.

Hi Vicki, Thanks! We went to Gearhart beach too. I love it there! It was a great place to celebrate. Have fun shopping for your food processor. I love appliance shopping ; ) I test out a lot of different appliances, so if you ever want feedback, let me know.

Unknown said...

This looks delicious, too! Normally I mash peanut butter and silken tofu and top with preserves for a sandwich, but I'll try this as well.

I noticed that you did not press the tofu, or even say to squeeze it before proceeding with the recipe. Do you mash it with all of that moisture contained after rinsing and drying?