Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dinner


On crazy, busy nights, it's always such a huge relief when I don't have to spend a lot of time making dinner. As much as I love to cook (and I really love to cook), some night's you just want to get dinner on the table in 15 minutes (although it rarely happens that fast in my house). But, I am happy to say, this dinner is one of those exceptions.

I like to cook up a big batch of garbanzo beans in the pressure cooker once a week, so I always have them on hand and don't have to rely on canned beans. Then, they're ready to go in the fridge (or freezer), for quick dinners or lunches on the run. So, late yesterday afternoon when I started wondering what I was going to make for dinner, hummus came to mind. I pulled some pitas from the freezer, cut up some fresh veggies, pickled onions and some olives and voila...dinner was made. Man, not only was it quick to throw together, but delicious and hearty too. And talk about economical... The best part, my kids loved it. So much so that they packed themselves the leftovers for their school lunches.

Now, the big question is, what am I going to make for dinner tonight?

7 comments:

Chessa said...

I don't know why I've never thought of freezing pita bread. Genius!!

Do you love your pressure cooker? We're considering buying one and I'm intrigued.

Happy MoFo!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Are you making me hummus for dinner? That works. Because that's now what I want!

tofufreak said...

i love making hummus for any reason :D

it's a good omni-converter food too, as i recently found out.

aimee said...

Please, please tell me what type of pressure cooker you have that allows you to cook garbanzo beans? Mine is a presto 8-quart stovetop model and it tells me I shouldn't do garbanzos. Can I? Should I? That would make my life so much easier!

julie hasson said...

Hi Chessa & Aimee. I use (and love) my pressure cooker. It's a BRK from Germany, and you can absolutely do garbanzo beans and everything else in it. In fact, I was so taken with it that we started selling them on the Everyday Dish website. I've had other pressure cookers over the years, that I didn't love so much. They definitely aren't all created equally.

Hi Jess. Sure, come on over!

Hi Tofufreak. You're right. It is a good omni-converter.

Sheree' said...

I so want a pressure cooker. I usually spend an entire day cooking up different types of beans to keep on hand in the freezer and it takes all day.

Love your meal! I am craving hummus, but have dinner planned. Hmm there is always lunch. :o)

Sheree' said...

Julie, do you have a recipe for your hummus that you can share? Your food is always so delish!